15 minutes with car, Routenplaner
Mondovì is a town and comune (township) in Piedmont, northern Italy, about 80 kilometres (50 mi) from Turin. The area around it is known as the Monregalese.
The town, located on the Monte Regale hill, is divided into several rioni (ancient quarters): Piazza (the most ancient), Breo, Pian della Valle, Carassone, Altipiano, Borgato and Rinchiuso, lower, next to the Ellero stream, developed from the 18th century when industries developed in Mondovì and when it was reached by the railway.
The Funicolare di Mondovì, a recently reopened funicular railway in the town, links Breo with Piazza.
It is the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Mondovì. It is also the home of the Academia Montis Regalis orchestra led by conductor Alessandro De Marchi.
Church of San Francesco Saverio (1664–1678), with works by Andrea Pozzo.
Cathedral of San Donato, designed by Francesco Gallo.
Santa Croce Chapel, with a Gothic fresco cycle.
Medieval walls and towers (12th century).
Piazza Maggiore (Main Square, 14th-16th century), in Gothic style .
Church of Santa Chiara.
Church of the Misericordia (1708–1717), designed by Francesco Gallo.
Convent of Nostra Donna.
Chapel of San Rocco delle Carceri.
Chapel of San Borgato delle Forche, with notable Gothic paintings.
Nearby is the Baroque sanctuary of Vicoforte.
Mondovi is part of the well known wine region. The plantations harvest grapes of the Dolcetto type, which are made into Dolcetto di Dogliani DOC. An additional specialty is the Barbera wine, out of Barbara grapes.
25 minutes, Routenplaner >
Barolo is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Cuneo in the Italian region Piedmont, located about 50 kilometres (31 mi) southeast of Turin and about 40 kilometres (25 mi) northeast of Cuneo. As of 30 April 2009 it had a population of 750 and an area of 5.6 square kilometres (2.2 sq mi).
Barolo borders the following municipalities: Castiglione Falletto, La Morra, Monforte d'Alba, Narzole, and Novello. Barolo is an important wine producing area noted for its Barolo wine of the same name, and many wineries such as Poderi Colla have vineyards here.
Barolo is a red Denominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita (DOCG) wine produced in the northern Italian region of Piedmont. It is made from the Nebbiolo grape and is often described as one of Italy's greatest wines. The zone of production extends into the communes of Barolo, Castiglione Falletto, Serralunga d'Alba and parts of the communes of Cherasco, Diano d'Alba, Grinzane Cavour, La Morra, Monforte d'Alba, Novello, Roddi, Verduno, all in the province of Cuneo, south-west of Alba.
45 minutes, Routenplaner
Alba (Latin: Alba Pompeia) is a town and comune of Piedmont, Italy, in the province of Cuneo. It is considered the capital of the UNESCO Human Heritage hilly area of Langhe, and is famous for its white truffle, peach and wine production. The confectionery group Ferrero is based there.
Of the Roman city, which had a polygonal form, parts of the fortified gate and remains of some edifices with marble and mosaics can still be seen.
Other attractions include:
The Palazzo Comunale (13th century, housing a Nativity by Macrino d'Alba of 1501) and the Bishop's Palace.
Some towers of the 14th and 15th centuries: Alba was once known as the "City with hundred towers".
the Romanesque Alba Cathedral of San Lorenzo (Duomo), built in the 12th century, probably over holy edifices of Roman age. It was restructured in the 15th century, by bishop Andrea Novelli, and again in the following centuries. The current appearance is from the controversial restoration of the 19th century, of which the three portals and the crypt are from the original edifice. The church is well known for its wood-carved chorus made in 1512 by Bernardino Fossati. The current belfry, from the 12th century, includes entirely the original bell tower.
The Gothic church of San Domenico (13th through 14th centuries), the most artistically relevant church in town. It has a noteworthy portal with a triple arch within a pointed arch, a polygonal apse and traces of Renaissance frescoes. During the Napoleonic Wars it was used a stable, and was reconsecrated on 22 June 1827.
The Baroque church of St. John the Baptist, housing a Madonna of the Graces (1377) by Barnaba da Modena and a Madonna with Saints (1508) by Macrino d'Alba.
The city museums include the F. Eusebio Municipal Museum of Archaeology and Natural Science.
In addition to traditional agriculture, Alba is a very important center of wine. In the area of Alba, in fact, there are 290 wineries that cultivate an area of 700 hectares (1,700 acres) of land, producing an average of 61,200 hL of wine annually.
The wines of Alba are among the most renowned in Italy and are divided into:
DOC: Barbera, Dolcetto, Nebbiolo.
DOCG: Barbaresco, Barolo, Moscato.
Alba is also famous worldwide for its white truffles, and its annual Truffle Festival.
35 minutes, Routenplaner >
Cuneo is a city and comune in Piedmont, Northern Italy, the capital of the province of Cuneo, the third largest of Italy’s provinces by area.
It is located at 550 metres (1,804 ft) in the south-west of Piedmont, at the confluence of the rivers Stura and Gesso.
Including all bordering municipalities Beinette, Borgo San Dalmazzo, Boves, Busca, Caraglio, Castelletto Stura, Centallo, Cervasca, Morozzo, Peveragno, Tarantasca and Vignolo the population is 123,301 inhabitants.
It is near six important mountain passes:
Colle della Maddalena at 1,996 metres (6,549 ft)
Colle di Tenda at 1,871 metres (6,138 ft) - Tunnel of Tenda at 1,300 metres (4,300 ft), 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) long
Colle del Melogno at 1,027 metres (3,369 ft)
Colle San Bernardo at 957 metres (3,140 ft)
Colle di Nava at 934 metres (3,064 ft)
Colle di Cadibona at 459 metres (1,5 minutes)
Cuneo was founded in 1198 by the local population, who declared it an independent commune, freeing themselves from the authority of the bishops of Asti and the marquisses of Montferrat and Saluzzo. In 1210 the latter occupied it, and in 1231 the Cuneesi rebelled. In 1238 they were recognized as free commune by Emperor Frederick II.
In 1259 the independence of Cuneo ceased forever, as it gave itself, also to take protection against its more powerful neighbours, to Charles I of Anjou, who was then King of Naples and Count of Provence. Together with Alba, it was the main Angevine possession in northern Italy; their rule (in fact interrupted by periods under Saluzzo, Savoy, the Visconti of Milan) ended in 1382 when Cuneo was acquired by the Duchy of Savoy.
Cuneo became an important stronghold of the expanding Savoy state, and was thus besieged by France several times: first in 1515 by Swiss troops of Francis I of France, then again in 1542, 1557, 1639, 1641, 1691 and, during the War of Austrian Succession, in 1741. In all the sieges Cuneo resisted successfully. Cuneo was conquered by France only during the Napoleonic Wars, when it was made the capital of the Stura department. After the restoration of the Kingdom of Sardinia, and the unification of Italy, Cuneo became the capital of its namesake province in 1859.
During World War II, from 1943 to 1945, it was one of the main centres of partisan resistance against the German occupation of Italy.
Villa Oldofredi Tadini, built in the 14th and 15th centuries as a watchtower. It is now a museum housing collections of the owners, the Mocchia and Oldofredi Tadini families.
Villa Tornaforte, surrounded by an English-style park.
Churches of Santa Croce, San Giovanni Decollato and Santissima Annunziata, housing paintings by Giovan Francesco Gaggini.
Panoramic funicolar that connects plateau to Gesso river.
Monument of Stura and Gesso in Torino Square
The median way of the plateau (Rome Avenue, Galimberti Square and Nice Avenue): the commercial heart of Cuneo.
Nuvolari Libera Tribù: the longest summer's musical festival, near river Gesso
New Bridge (Ponte Nuovo) between the center of the city and Madonna dell' Olmo
Monument at Peano's curve
Palazzo Uffici Finanziari (PUF), highest edifice in the city at about 50 metres (160 ft)
Cuneo's specialty is Cuneesi al rhum, chocolates with a unique rum-based filling. The most famous brand is Arione, located in Piazza Galimberti (the city's central square). Arione, founded in 1923, has kept its traditional furniture.
60 Autominuten, Routenplaner >
Turin is a city and an important business and cultural centre in northern Italy, capital of the Piedmont region and was the first capital city of Italy. The city is located mainly on the western bank of the Po River, in front of Susa Valley and surrounded by the western Alpine arch and by the Superga Hill. The population of the city proper is 892,649 (August 2015) while the population of the urban area is estimated by Eurostat to be 1.7 million inhabitants. The Turin metropolitan area is estimated by the OECD to have a population of 2.2 million.
In 1997 a part of the historical center of Torino was inscribed in the World Heritage List under the name Residences of the Royal House of Savoy.
The city has a rich culture and history, and is known for its numerous art galleries, restaurants, churches, palaces, opera houses, piazzas, parks, gardens, theatres, libraries, museums and other venues. Turin is well known for its Renaissance, Baroque, Rococo, Neo-classical, and Art Nouveau architecture.
Many of Turin's public squares, castles, gardens and elegant palazzi such as Palazzo Madama, were built between the 16th and 18th centuries. This was after the capital of the Duchy of Savoy (later Kingdom of Sardinia) was moved to Turin from Chambery (now in France) as part of the urban expansion.
The city used to be a major European political center. Turin was Italy's first capital city in 1861 and home to the House of Savoy, Italy's royal family. From 1563, it was the capital of the Duchy of Savoy, then of the Kingdom of Sardinia ruled by the Royal House of Savoy and finally the first capital of the unified Italy.Turin is sometimes called "the cradle of Italian liberty" for having been the birthplace and home of notable politicians and people who contributed to the Risorgimento, such as Cavour.
The city currently hosts some of Italy's best universities, colleges, academies, lycea and gymnasia, such as the University of Turin, founded in the 15th century, and the Turin Polytechnic. In addition, the city is home to museums such as the Museo Egizio and the Mole Antonelliana . Turin's attractions make it one of the world's top 250 tourist destinations and the tenth most visited city in Italy in 2008.
Even though much of its political significance and importance had been lost by World War II, Turin became a major European crossroad for industry, commerce and trade, and is part of the famous "industrial triangle" along with Milan and Genoa. Turin is ranked third in Italy, after Milan and Rome, for economic strength. With a GDP of $58 billion, Turin is the world's 78th richest city by purchasing power. As of 2010, the city has been ranked by GaWC as a Gamma World city.Turin is also home to much of the Italian automotive industry.
Turin is well known as the home of the Shroud of Turin, the football teams Juventus F.C. and Torino F.C., the headquarters of automobile manufacturers FIAT, Lancia and Alfa Romeo, and as host of the 2006 Winter Olympics.
Main sights: please see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turin
45 minutes, Routenplaner
Savona is a seaport and comune in the northern Italian region of Liguria, capital of the Province of Savona, in the Riviera di Ponente on the Mediterranean Sea.
The town is situated 40 kilometres (25 miles) west of Genoa and circa 150 km (93 mi) (east) of Nice, in France, on the western Italian Riviera, between the Ligurian Sea and the Ligurian Alps.
Savona used to be one of the chief seats of the Italian iron industry, having iron-works and foundries, shipbuilding, railway workshops, engineering shops, and a brass foundry.
One of the most celebrated former inhabitants of Savona was the navigator Christopher Columbus, who farmed land in the area while chronicling his journeys. 'Columbus's house', a cottage situated in the Savona hills, lay between vegetable crops and fruit trees. It is one of several residences in Liguria associated with Columbus.
30 Autominuten, Routenplaner >
Grinzane Cavour is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Cuneo in the Italian region Piedmont, located about 50 kilometres (31 mi) southeast of Turin and about 45 kilometres (28 mi) northeast of Cuneo.
Grinzane Cavour borders the municipalities of Alba and Diano d'Alba.
Originally simply known as Grinzane, it switched to the current name in homage to Camillo Benso, Count Cavour, who was mayor of the city for 17 years.
The main attraction is the massive medieval castle. Until 2009, Grinzane Cavour was also the seat of the eponymous literary award.
Every year in November Grinzane Cavour hosts a truffle auction for charitable causes, which it is known for, as well it's wineries for the Barolo and Dolcetto d'Alba.
for more info please visit http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/foodandwineholidays/2988930/Italy-A-culinary-tour-of-Piedmont.html
50 minutes, Routenplaner >
Saluzzo is a town and former principality in the province of Cuneo, Piedmont region, Italy.
The city of Saluzzo is built on a hill overlooking a vast, well-cultivated plain. Iron, lead, silver, marble, slate etc. are found in the surrounding mountains. It has a population of approximately 17,000.
The town has kept much of its 15th century old town intact, located on a hill and originally enclosed by a double ring of walls. The historic centre of Saluzzo includes a whole series of cobbled streets, steep staircases, churches and elegant palaces to explore and admire.
One highlight of note to visit near Saluzzo is the medieval Staffarda Abbey, and you can also visit the Castello della Manto just south of the town to admire the frescoes in this austere medieval fortress.
Finally we must recommend you complete your visit with the cuisine of Saluzzo which offers a number of interesting local products, including some cheeses such as the so-called "paglierine" and other cheeses from the Alps. Among the most popular meat dishes try those of Cavour or the 'white hen' of Saluzzo.
To complete your meal with sweets we have to mention "Batiaje", the "Losette" and "Risole" while for wines, try the red wines called Pelaverga, Quaglia, Nebbiolo and Barbera.
for more info please visit
30 minutes, Routenplaner >
Situated midway between Cuneo and Turin, Bra lies at the edge of the Langhe hills, near the Tanaro river, and is the third most populous commune in the province, one of the main centers of the Piedmontese Baroque style with its many churches and palaces of the 17th and 18th century, and also in the heart of the so-called food valley, and the seat of a University of Gastronomic Science.
What to see:
- Near the frazione of Pollenzo, the ruins of ancient Pollentia, where a famous battle between the Goths and Romans was fought, and where Carlo Alberto Savoy built his castle.
- the baroque church of Sant'Andea, dated 1682
- the church of Santa Chiara, with a rococo facade designed by Bernardo Antonio Vittone in 1748
for more info please visit:
sources for text and photos: wikipedia.com as well as the other mentioned websites.